This time last year, we couldn’t get enough of the winter dark nail colors. But before you run out and coat your nails in gothic blacks and deep maroons, hold back, because this snowy season, gray is the new black.
Marc Jacobs set the gray trend in motion at his fall runway show this year, glamming the models’ nails in what he called a “greige” color. Although his collection put a more nude-gray on display, celebs everywhere are picking up on this icy look and making it their own. This fall, supermodel Alessandra Ambrosio was spotted wearing a dark creamy gray, while Rachel Bilson wore a frosty polish at the Roberto Cavalli show. Lady Gaga opted for soft, feminine nails on the recent cover of Vanity Fair.
Not sure which gray is best for you? Check out our guidelines on how to embrace this trend and keep your fingers looking ravishing!
1. For the Gray Nail Beginner: There are some classic colors that will look great on just about everyone. If you’re still testing the gray polish waters, this will help make up your mind quickly. One of our favorite, classic gray polishes is Sew Psyched, by Essie ($8).
2. For the Night Owl: A metallic, almost silvery polish can really spice up an evening look. This color tends to look particularly glamorous on darker skin tones, but be warned, the bolder the metallic, the less appropriate it may be for daytime. For a gorgeous, shiny polish check out Full Metal Jacket, by NARS ($16).
3. For the Black Polish Lovers: Having trouble letting go of last winter’s shade? Then try a dark matte polish to help make the transition to gray a little easier. A deep, dark gray, like Recycled, by China Glaze ($2.80), will be elegant on your fingers, but is an even better, super chic toenail color.
4. For the Light and Simple Devotee: We’ll admit it, bold nail colors aren’t for everyone. If you want to get on board the gray nail trend but want to keep it light, try Give Me the Moon, by OPI ($8). This nail lacquer is a very gentle, feminine shade that will look great even into the spring.
5. For the Adventuress Diva: If you’re more the trend-setting than the trend-following type, an icy cold, blue-gray nail color is a great way to make this look your own. A navy blue can be very striking when mixed with gray, add a little sparkle into the mix and you’ll have a color that’s all yours. One of our faves? Club Queen Scene, by Sephora ($9).
Have a gray polish you simply adore? Don’t hold back, we’d love to hear your thoughts!
Images: Imaxtree and WENN.com