As one of the most notable hair stylists in the field, David Babaii has become the ultimate stylist to the stars. His clients, who include Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Hudson, and Gwyneth Paltrow, are some of the biggest names in Hollywood. His signature look — natural and free-flowing — turns movie stars into timeless icons. David recently launched his own line of natural products, David Babaii for WildAid (Hudson is the face of the brand) and the goal is to bring global attention to animal rights advocacy.
I asked David my three favorite beauty-related questions.
INDUSTRY BREAK: My family and I were in Paris for vacation. At the time, I had a degree in hotel management in which I specialized in both food and beverage. Since I worked for some of the top hotels in the world, my work life was highly stressful and overwhelming. On our first full day in Paris, my dad and sister went shopping, while my mom and I decided to visit the Eiffel Tower. We had lived in Europe for many years, but never had the time to experience this amazing site. As we gazed over the city, my mom noticed I was just not myself. Being the amazing mom that she is, she wanted to know what was on my mind. With the city of Paris before us, I began to share how I wanted to change my life and career. Yet, at 24 years old, I felt it was too late for me to make this change. She quickly responded by saying, “It is never too late to change, David. Life is too short to be so unhappy.” My mom was a legend in the hair industry during the 70s, so I grew up with this profession in my life. Her work was just so beautiful and I was always so proud of her. As we stood, at what seemed to be the top of the world, we began talking about my future. Here, she asked me the magic question that started everything, “Why don’t you do what I did? You always seemed to be so fascinated with my trade.” In fact the real irony here is that there was a hair show going on at the same time we were in Paris! My mom and I immediately bought tickets to attend. As soon as we walked in, I knew this was fate and that hairdressing was going to be my new career path.
FIVE MOST COVETED PRODUCTS:
1. Couture Colour Pequi Oil Treatment – Derived from the Pequi fruit, known for centuries as the beauty secret of the Amazon Rainforest, it is rich in moisture-restoring antioxidants, Vitamin A, E, proteins, and lipids; it revives even the driest, color treated, and chemically straightened hair while keeping color vibrant with a special UV filter. Plus, it tames frizz, mends split ends, and gives incredible softness and shine.
2. Couture Colour Luxeblend Crème Hair Colour – Custom-blended, top requested salon shades so that you can get professional results easily at home. Colour Boost™ Technology gently releases color and locks in dimension and shine. Pequi Glossing Serum helps prevent color from fading, and keeps hair silkier and healthier.
3. IT&LY HAIRFASHION’s Italian Ionic Dryer – It dries tresses fast. The dryer’s performance and Italian-made quality provides reliability, balance, and the ability to dry hair 50% faster than your average tool.
4. IT&LY HAIRFASHION’s Italian Digital Iron – It straightens hair quickly and without damage.
5. White Sands Curling Iron – It creates beautiful waves, or switch to the direct control and ease of a Spring Load without the need for multiple irons! With the Spring Load option of the iron, easily use the clamp to securely hold hair in place, while you roll the section in the direction of the desired hair flow and pattern.
FAVORITE LOOK: I love Angelina Jolie on the Vanity Fair cover. First of all, Angelina would look gorgeous no matter what style, but this look is truly sexy and alluring. It is big hair but with style!