She might have missed out on the Oscar for best actress, but if there was an award for most effective dress/hair contrast, Naomi Watts definitely would have creamed the competition. For the event, Watts chose a grey Armani Privé gown with cut-out bust and more sequins than a Mardi Gras parade, but looked beautifully effortless with the help of a messy updo and natural makeup.
Next time you need to wear your Privé out in broad daylight — or, you know, you just want to wear sequins to lunch — keep things classy with this quick and easy hairstyle:
- Prep hair by using a texturising spray at the roots (a dry shampoo or salt spray will work too). Massage the head a little to create volume.
- Pull the first section of hair back from the forehead into a sort of subtle quiff, and pinning it just above the neck with a small clip. If you can find them, spring clips are perfect, otherwise small bobby pins will do the trick.
- Continue clipping back individual sections of hair, pulling each towards roughly the same spot at the back of the head. Twist each section slightly to create the desired texture and height.
- When you are finished, the ends should be hanging out like a messy ponytail. Take the ends, twist them all around together and clip securely to the back of the head.
- Pull out a few thin strands to hang around the face and finish with a little hairspray. Voila!