Forget about the Oscars or the Golden Globes or even the CFDA Awards, for the ultimate in fashion eye candy there’s nothing that can top the Met Gala. In preparation for this year’s gala which will take place on May 2, here are some of the fundraiser’s 10 most memorable looks from the past.
1. Prior to the launch of Moda Operandi, her personal Twitter account, and her multiple Page Six mentions, Lauren Santo Domingo was best known for, in 2008, having worn the Nina Ricci gown that Sarah Jessica Parker later wore to the premiere of the Sex and the City movie.
2. Anna Wintour isn’t exactly known for being adventurous when it comes to her style, but in 2008 when the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute saluted the power of superheroes, she went for a show-stopping, daring Chanel gown.
3. Thigh high boots, bunny ears, and her black bra peeking through make Madonna’s 2009 Louis Vuitton getup a memorable standout.
4. Leave it to Katy Perry to wear something as kooky as a light-up dress by Cute Circuit, which she opted for at the 2010 event.
5. Who, other than a supermodel like Karolina Kurkova, could pull-off Viktor & Rolf’s “I love you” gown? The blond stunner opted to wear the look when she accompanied the designers to the 2008 affair.
6. It may not have been the most stylish dress, but it certainly showed off Blake Lively's figure to a T when she wore a one-sleeved chiffon Versace gown with a plunging neckline and a thigh high split in 2009.
7. It’s hard to make "short" work on the Met Gala’s red carpet, but leave it to supermodel Kate Moss to not only make it work, but in gold lamé and with a turban in Marc Jacobs in 2009.
8. Glad in plaid Sarah Jessica Parker accompanied Alexander McQueen to the Gala in the 2006 salute to Anglomania.
9. Making feathers look stunning is no easy feat, but so was the case when Mary-Kate Olsen opted for a stark black Giambattista Valli gown in 2007.
10. While it’s hard to recall very many Kate Beckinsale films, the actress consistently stuns on the red carpet and in 2009 her Marchesa gown took the cake.