Summer doesn’t always have to mean that our wardrobes must be infused with candy-colored hues and beach bum separates.
Some girls still like to enjoy their monochromatic looks all year round, no matter what the thermometer says.
Now those who make it a rule to wear nothing but black and white no longer have to be fashion outsiders during the summertime. Black and white is ready to shed its serious and bland connotation, and reemerge as one of the freshest color combos of the season.
Givenchy was the runway mix master of head-to-toe black and white looks, opening the show with eight standout monochromatic outfits that just screamed rock-and-roll goddess with a hint of gothic sensibility.
The brand took these two basic colors and played with graphic horizontal and sideways stripes, startling color contrasts, and razor-sharp geometric shapes to create intense and interesting optical illusions.
You may not be wearing these ensembles to the beach, but to a late night rooftop summer party? Yes. And when worn separately, you will also see that these black and white pieces transform into beach-ready bathing suit cover-ups that work any time of the day.
Black and white may be the uniform of Banana Republic store employees, New York City fashion editors, and Kelly Cutrone’s PR interns, but it can also be the color scheme of your new warm weather look. And it’s versatile and classic enough to wear well into the fall and winter seasons.
Try these two monochromatic ensembles that will make for a chic and sharp Givenchy look, without the expensive Givenchy price.
1. Seine Silk Box Blouse from Nastygal – $88.00
2. Jeffrey Campbell Glen Suede Wedge from Nastygal – $122.00
3. Bandage Front Skirt from Forever 21 – $19.80
4. Sleeveless Waterfall Jacket from TopShop – $90.00
1. Marine Jacket from Queen’s Wardrobe – $121.00
2. Classic Shirt from Forever 21 – $19.80
3. Miele Satin Shoes from Queen’s Wardrobe – $155.00
4. Loop Pocket Harem Trousers from Topshop – $80.00