It’s been a big year for Australian fashion with weddings, deaths, pregnancies, milestones, modelling comebacks, scandals, sex changes and more making headlines across the world. Journey back through time and check out our most memorable moments in the Aussie fashion industry this year. A lot can happen in 12 months.
1. Gemma Ward made her triumphant return to modelling.
After an eight-year hiatus, the fashion world stopped when the model walked Prada’s Milan Fashion Week Spring 2015 show. An adorable Country Road campaign with her baby girl followed, and that’s when we knew her comeback was legit.
2. Sportscraft celebrated a huge 100 years in the industry.
Rachel Griffiths, Michael Klim, Ita Buttrose, Kylie Kwong, Nick Farr-Jones, Gracie Otto, Samantha Harris and Anthony ‘Harries’ Carroll were chosen to front the year-long campaign.
3. Denim junkies rejoiced as Ksubi made a comeback.
4. Charlotte Dawson tragically passed away.
The nation stopped when news of the Australia’s Next Top Model judge’s death broke with her life cut short at only 47 years of age.
5. Designer Alannah Hill launched her new label Louise Love.
While her former label released its first collection without her.
6. Jean Paul Gaultier’s exhibition came to Melbourne.
Everyone else in the Asia-Pacific missed out.
7. Target sent the country a little crazy with its Missoni collaboration.
We crashed its website with our overeagerness.
8. The world met Andreja Pejic.
After undergoing gender reassignment surgery, androgynous model Andrej became Andreja, transgender female model.
9. The Australian retail market gained huge international brands.
10. Models Nicole Trunfio and Robyn Lawley announced their pregnancies.
11. Our top fashion bloggers scored their own mini doco-series.
12. Alessandra Ambrosio fronted Alex Perry’s MBFWA show.
13. One of the most confusing love hexagons of the year included our own.
14. Elyse Taylor married Seth Campbell.
The model tied the knot in a lovely Hampton wedding, after giving birth to their baby five months earlier.
15. Kelly Gale and Shanina Shaik walked for Victoria’s Secret.
16. Myer officially ditched its “Myer is my store” slogan.
Swapping it for “Finding Wonderful.”
17. The Bachelor saga happened.
18. Baz Luhrmann directed a Chanel No. 5 ad.
19. His other half, Catherine Martin, won two Oscars.
For Best Costume Design and Best Production Design for The Great Gatsby.
20. Gary Pepper won the Best Photography award at Bloglovin’s 2014 Awards.
21. Sarah-Jane Clarke and Heidi Middleton left Sass & Bide
The founders and best buddies stepped down from their highly-acclaimed brand, leaving it in the hands of department store Myer. Nonetheless, it was a good year for the brand with Eva Longoria, Taylor Swift, Drew Barrymore and Coco Rocha all spotted in the Aussie label.
22. Australia’s Next Top Model 2011 contestant Simone Holtznagel got her big break.
When she was tapped by Guess’ Paul Marciano for a Spring 2015 campaign.
23. Iggy Azalea was victim to an unfortunate wardrobe mishap.
24. Alice McCall celebrated 10 years in the industry.
She threw a party to celebrate the milestone.
25. Bambi Northwood-Blyth and Dan Single tied the knot.
The “it” model and Ksubi co-founder finally exchanged vows, in front of a star-studded guest list in NSW’s Byron Bay. They’ve been offering us Instagram PDA ever since.
26. Reebok Australia was fined $350,000.
For making false claims about its EasyTone shoe range, telling us our butt’s muscle tone would improve if we wore them.
27. We made an impact at New York Fashion Week.
Home-grown labels Tome, Zimmermann and Dion Lee impressed at the Spring 2015 shows.
28. Model and actress Teresa Palmer was victim to the mass photo-hacking scandal.
29. Rose Byrne fittingly became the face of Oroton.
30. Seafolly sold a majority stake to Louis Vuitton.
31. Ellery scored its third consecutive Paris Fashion Week show for Spring 2015.
32. Lara Bingle made her venture into beauty.
With a tanning range called The Base by Lara B, even though she already sports a natural glow.
32. Aussie labels made serious waves in Hollywood.
Bec & Bridge was worn by the likes of Taylor Swift, Eva Longoria, Emily Ratajkowski, Nicole Richie, Kat Graham and Malin Akerman, Zimmermann dressed Selena Gomez, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Alba and Julianne Hough, and Camilla and Marc was spotted on Karolina Kurkova, Emmy Rossum, Zoe Levin and Rashida Jones.
34. Camilla and Marc designed a new uniform for St.George Bank.
35. Megan Gale gave birth to her first child.
To a little boy named River Hampson.
What a year it’s been — I don’t think the Australian fashion industry could’ve fit any more in if it tried. We can’t wait to see what 2015 brings because, wow, we sure know how to make the most of every day.